Alaska offers students various scholarships and grants in order to encourage them to study further. The state government is trying hard to retain students by providing them with Alaska State scholarships. If you thought getting a scholarship in Alaska is a difficult proposition, think again. There are a number for Alaska scholarships that are available to post secondary students.
If you are a resident of Alaska and want to study further, here is a list of the “5 best scholarships for Alaska residents” that will be of help to you.
1. The Alaska Advantage Grant: It is one of the most popular scholarships for Alaska residents. The scholarship is readily available to the students. This program is funded by the state and is meant for students who wish to study further. If you are a student and are in dire need of a scholarship, this program is for you. There are two conditions that need to be fulfilled for you to get the scholarship. Firstly, you should be a resident of Alaska, and secondly, you must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program in one of the state colleges or universities. The grant provided is between $500 and $2,000.
2. GEAR UP Alaska Scholarship: This is aimed at undergraduate students in Alaska. It is available for children of as low as sixth grade. The aim of this grant is to help children start preparing for their college education very early. For this, they are required to enrol in an augmented course. This course helps them to meet specific academic criteria. The good part is that the students who successfully complete the GEAR UP program are entitled to a scholarship of $7000 per year. It is also commendable that students who are enrolled part-time may get partial scholarships.
3. Exchange program: Alaska also participates in Western Interstate Commission, a higher education exchange program. This program is huge, as it includes 15 western states, and provides scholarships and grants to the students residing in them. These student exchange programs offer a wide range of higher education options to the students. These options are available at undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels.
4. The University of Alaska Scholars program: It is another great scholarship program. The top students usually get up to 1,000 scholarships annually. The amount of scholarship may go as high as $11,000.
5. The 2011 scholarships from Alaska: The 2011 scholarships from Alaska are available for Alaska students only. Alaska Pharmacist’s Association offers these scholarships. The Francis C. Bowden scholarship is available to students who are enrolled in a professional pharmacy program and are residents of Alaska. The 2011 scholarship award for this program is $2,000. Then, there are pre-pharmacy scholarships with a reward of $1,000. For a student to be eligible for these scholarships, he/she must be a resident of Alaska. In addition, the student must have enrolled in a pre-pharmacy curriculum or equivalent to be eligible for these Alaska scholarships.
These are the five most significant scholarships for Alaska students. Apart from these, there are other grants aimed at supporting the students of Alaska.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.