Bronchitis is an acute inflammation of the air passages within the lungs.
Causes of Bronchitis include:
- Breathing in certain kinds of chemicals
- Environmental pollution
Symptoms of Bronchitis include:
- Coughing accompanied by sputum
- Yellow or green phlegm
- Shortness of breath
There are two kinds of Bronchitis — Acute and Chronic. Acute bronchitis (which can quickly become very serious), describes the inflammation of the bronchi usually caused by a viral infection. Various bacteria and chemicals may alsocause acute bronchitis. Acute bronchitis is seen in both children and adults. Symptoms of acute bronchitis are: common cold, running nose, sore throat, mild fever, dry cough, and slight wheezing. Several treatments that are effective in treating Acute bronchitis are:
- Albuterol inhalation with a hand-held device (meter dosed inhaler, MDI) or nebulizer helps dilate the bronchial tubes. It is an effective acute bronchitis treatment.
- Short-term steroid therapy is an acute bronchitis treatment. It helps minimize inflammation within the bronchial tubes.
- Prednisone is a common prescription medication used for acute bronchitis treatment. It enhances the anti-inflammatory effect of the steroids produced within the body by the adrenal glands.
- Topical inhaled steroids may also be of use with fewer potential side effects.
- Other acute bronchitis treatments include medications like Mucinex and Robitussin. They help clear secretions within the bronchial tubes.
Allergic Bronchitis Treatment
In allergic bronchitis, both asthma symptoms and allergies are present. Allergic bronchitis can cause hay fever and allergic rhinitis (inflammation of the nasal passages). Allergic bronchitis treatment includes taking anti-histamine medications and avoiding allergens that can stimulate the allergy. Antibiotics, bronchodilators, and corticosteroids (a class of hormones) can also be used for treatment of allergic bronchitis.
Asthmatic Bronchitis Treatment
Reliever inhaler medication (ventolin) is an asthmatic bronchitis treatment. Symptom controller medication (salmeterol), oral corticosteroids, and bronchodilators can be used for asthmatic bronchitis treatment. Inhaled steroids such as fluticasone can be used for asthmatic bronchitis treatment.
Antibiotics are usually prescribed for the treatment of baby bronchitis. The child should be given lots of fluids. A humidifier can also be used for baby bronchitis treatment.
Top Natural Supplements for Treatment of Bronchitis
- Ginger, clove, and cinnamon tea are medicinal herbs. They are strong antimicrobials and help cure bronchitis.
- Turmeric and mustard plaster are natural supplements used for the treatment of bronchitis.
- American and Siberian ginseng taken with meals may help cure bronchitis.
- Bromelain taken in the form of tea is effective. It helps liquefy and reduce bronchial secretions.
- Colloidal silver is a natural antibiotic that destroys bacteria, viruses, and fungi. It also promotes faster healing.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.