Did you know that restaurants mostly focus on making money? Like any other industry, even eateries work toward this goal. Here are the top five restaurant secrets that will give you some idea about what restaurants try to hide from their customers:
1. The restaurant industry has many secrets that its staff won’t reveal. However, having basic knowledge of the food business can ensure that you have the best dining experience. You would surely be taken aback to know that the food served to you might be that which had earlier been dropped on the restaurant floor. You may have even heard stories of waiters spilling food on rude customers.
2. Fast food restaurants have managed to draw the attention of customers by setting up a highly stimulating atmosphere by using bright lighting, bright colors, and upbeat music. One of the main secrets of fast food restaurants is that when preparing a menu card, they list the items in such a manner that the items making the most profit are mentioned at the top of the list (for drawing your attention). The ones that cost the most are printed in the middle of the menu card. Certainly, someone working in the restaurant industry won’t tell you about this trade secret.
3. It is no secret that huge markups are put on soda, coffee, and tea. At a fine dining restaurant, there could be around a 60 per cent mark up. For example, a serving of pasta should cost pennies to make, but when served with inexpensive condiments, bits of meat, and sauce, the dish is sold for $25 or more.
4. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has estimated that over 173,000 illnesses are caused due to food-borne E. coli each year. The chef won’t tell you if the meal served is bad or stale. So, if your meal seems to be unsavory, order a whole new dish.
5. Fancy names on the menu can fool customers into spending more money on their meal.
Restaurants believe that most Americans are happy to spend on food and will dine out. When it comes to revealing the hygiene, secret recipes, or secret menu, the chef will stay mum. Even famous fast food restaurants don’t reveal their little secrets to customers.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.