Tags: US | Roman | Polanski

Court to Rule If Polanski Can Fight Case From Afar

Wednesday, 16 Dec 2009 07:44 AM

 

Share:
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
   Forward Article  |
  Copy Shortlink

Roman Polanski seemed to have little to lose last summer when his lawyers pressed to dismiss the child rape case in California that has haunted him since he fled to France three decades ago.

He was at the helm of another movie, revered in the film industry and had been able to move about much of the world with little problem as long as he avoided the United States.

Less than six months later, he's confined to his Swiss chalet under house arrest and his freedom is in the hands of judges in two countries.

An appeals court in Los Angeles takes up the 76-year-old Polanski's case Thursday to determine if he needs to appear in court to pursue his claim that his case should be thrown out because it was tainted by judicial and prosecutorial misconduct.

Any decision by a three-judge panel of the California 2nd District Court of Appeal will not immediately affect Polanski's current predicament fighting extradition in Switzerland, but a victory would put the issue before a judge who already found "substantial misconduct" in the case.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Peter Espinoza made the finding after watching an HBO documentary on the case, but he declined to act because of a well-established doctrine that says fugitives are not entitled to a court hearing if they don't show up.

Polanski has been a wanted man since he fled to France on the eve of sentencing in 1978 for having unlawful sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl.

He was accused of plying the teen with champagne and part of a Quaalude pill and then raping her during a modeling shoot at Jack Nicholson's house in 1977. He was initially indicted on six felony counts, including rape by use of drugs, child molesting and sodomy. He pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful sexual intercourse.

He sought dismissal of the case in July after the HBO documentary uncovered new details about alleged back room dealings between the judge and a prosecutor who said he meddled in the case. The judge is deceased and the former prosecutor recanted his statements after Polanski's arrest.

Lawyers in the case refused to comment, but the defense argued in court papers that Polanski's constitutional rights were clearly violated.

"There is no reported case like it," wrote defense attorney Chad Hummel. "It has lasted 30 years and has been infected from the outset by extraordinary misconduct."

The appeal was filed in July when Polanski was a free man — two months before being arrested in Switzerland and jailed as a fugitive.

He was released last week under house arrest conditions and is living at his chalet in Gstaad. He is under electronic monitoring while his attorneys seek to block his extradition to the United States.

Prosecutors claim Polanski's arrest — on his way to collect an award at a film festival — has made the appeal unnecessary because he can be returned to California and can argue for the dismissal in person. They unsuccessfully asked the court to reject the appeal.

Legal experts said they'd be surprised if Polanski prevails in the appellate court.

In exile, Polanski's career has continued to flourish. He received a directing Oscar in absentia for the 2002 movie "The Pianist." While still in the United States, he directed such classic films as "Chinatown" and "Rosemary's Baby." He was working on a new movie when he was arrested.

Unlike his arrest 32 years ago, the current case has ignited public passions on both sides. A number of movie stars and French officials lined up with the director at the outset but some withdrew their support following public outrage when details of the crime were published.

Polanski's victim, Samantha Geimer, has repeatedly asked for dismissal of the charges against Polanski. Her attorney filed a declaration in the appeals case last summer stating that the case's re-emergence has caused her health and work problems.

She sued Polanski years after he fled and the director agreed to pay a $500,000 settlement. It is unclear how much of the money she received.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
   Forward Article  |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Family: Brittany Murphy Was Ill Days Before Death

Monday, 21 Dec 2009 12:37 PM

Brittany Murphy's family said the actress was ill with flulike symptoms in the days before her death and prescription me . . .

WTO: China Unfairly Restricting American Cds, Dvds

Monday, 21 Dec 2009 12:37 PM

The World Trade Organization's top arbitrators upheld a ruling that China is illegally restricting imports of U.S. music . . .

Family: Brittany Murphy Was Ill Days Before Death

Monday, 21 Dec 2009 12:37 PM

Brittany Murphy's family said the actress was ill with flulike symptoms in the days before her death and prescription me . . .

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved