British Terror Suspect Escapes Wearing Burqa

Tuesday, 05 Nov 2013 07:01 AM

By Joel Himelfarb

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
British authorities have lost track of a man with suspected links to the Somali terror organization al-Shabab, the London Telegraph reported Monday.
 
Security cameras reportedly show that at 10: 00 A.M. Friday morning — just hours after prosecutors, citing insufficient evidence, dropped charges against him for tampering with an electronic tag enabling authorities to monitor his whereabouts — Somalia-born Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed, 27, entered the An-Noor Masjid and Community Center in East London.
 
He was observed leaving the mosque at around 3:15 that afternoon disguised as a woman wearing  a burqa and has not been seen since.

Mohamed was being monitored under a Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measure (TPIM) notice, according to NBC News. Judges may impose a TPIM if, after viewing secret evidence not shown to juries, they conclude that someone is or has been involved in terror-related activities.
The notice requires that suspects report to law enforcement every day and remain overnight at a specific location.

The Telegraph quotes Britain’s Home Office as saying that Mohamed, a British citizen born in Somalia, was trained by al-Shabab and fought alongside its cadres. The office also believes Mohamed was involved in planning attacks on Western targets overseas. 

Mohamed is the second Somali-born terror suspect subject to a TPIM who has escaped from British law enforcement in the last year. The other is Ibrahim Magag, 28,who vanished close to a year ago.  

British Security Minister James Brokenshire said officials don’t  believe Mohamed poses a direct threat to the public.     

"National security is the government's top priority and the police are doing everything in their power to apprehend this man as quickly as possible," he told NBC News.
 
Scotland Yard announced that Mohamed is "not considered at this time to represent a direct threat to the public" but advised the public not to approach him but to call 999 [emergency services]" if they see him, the Telegraph reported.

Shadow (opposition coalition) Home Secretary Yvette Cooper called Mohamed’s escape "extremely serious" and urged Home Secretary Theresa May to "urgently explain what happened in this case."
 
Related Story:

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Switzerland Urged to Step up Fight against Ill-Gotten Funds

Tuesday, 02 Sep 2014 12:46 PM

Switzerland is not doing enough to rid itself of ill-gotten funds, despite loosening its banking secrecy, and should now . . .

Doubts Raised over British PM's Anti-jihadist Plans

Tuesday, 02 Sep 2014 07:38 AM

British media on Tuesday voiced skepticism over vague plans announced by Prime Minister David Cameron to counter the t . . .

More Than One Million Displaced by Ukraine Conflict

Tuesday, 02 Sep 2014 07:16 AM

Fighting in Ukraine has forced over half a million people to flee their homes, the UN refugee agency said Tuesday, warni . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved