Tags: US | Roman | Polanski

Prosecutor Balks at Sentencing Absent Polanski

Tuesday, 19 Jan 2010 06:00 PM

 

A prosecutor filed legal briefs Friday strongly reiterating his opposition to sentencing movie director Roman Polanski in absentia in a 32-year-old sex case.

Insisting Polanski must appear in person in a Los Angeles courtroom, Deputy District Attorney David Walgren characterized the director as "a fugitive and convicted child rapist (who) must not be permitted to instruct this court how to proceed."

"The operation of a fair and equitable judicial system mandates that criminals, even those with celebrity status and wealthy means abide by lawful court orders," Walgren wrote.

Polanski, 76, is under house arrest in Gstaad, Switzerland and fighting extradition.

He pleaded guilty to having unlawful intercourse with a 13-year-old girl and fled in 1978 when the now deceased judge indicated he was about to issue a harsher sentence than contained in a plea bargain.

Polanski recently sent a letter asking a Los Angeles judge to sentence him without making him return to the U.S.

Walgren objected to Polanski's request during a hearing earlier this month. Another hearing is set for Jan. 22.

In his 11-page court filing, Walgren said the "unique high-publicity nature of the case would provide the greatest deterrent effort for others considering fleeing the court's jurisdiction."

The document also quoted from an appellate court decision that noted sentencing in absentia might be a win-win for Polanski.

If sentenced to no further time behind bars, Polanski could freely return to the United States without consequence, the prosecutor said. And if sentenced to state prison, he could remain a fugitive.

"The appellate court accurately characterized this as the 'heads I win, tails you'll never find me' dynamic," Walgren said.

He also said that Polanski's voluntary surrender in person would "maintain the dignity of the court" and prevent him from "flouting the processes of the court." In the sensational 1977 case, the director of "Chinatown" and "Rosemary's Baby" was accused of plying the teen with champagne and part of a Quaalude pill then raping her during a modeling shoot at Jack Nicholson's house in 1977.

Polanski was initially indicted on six felony counts, including rape by use of drugs, child molesting and sodomy. He later pleaded guilty to the one count of unlawful sexual intercourse.

His victim has said she wants the case dismissed and feels she is being victimized again by all the publicity.

© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Michele Bachmann 2016: What 5 Liberal Pundits Say About Potential GOP Presidential Hopeful

Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 18:51 PM

Michele Bachmann, a potential GOP presidential hopeful in 2016, seems to be a political target that liberals love to sho . . .

Dick's Sporting Goods Guns: What's Retail Chain's Policy on Selling Firearms?

Thursday, 08 Jan 2015 21:02 PM

Imagine walking into Dick’s Sporting Goods to make a gun purchase, something that’s entirely legal under the Second Amen . . .

RPT-Hedge Funds Raise Bullish Commodity Bets First Time in 5 Weeks

Sunday, 17 Mar 2013 17:13 PM

 . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved