Tags: US | Dan | Rather | Lawsuit

NY Court Rejects Dan Rather's Appeal Against CBS

Tuesday, 19 Jan 2010 06:30 PM

 

New York's top court has rejected Dan Rather's bid to reinstate his $70 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against CBS Corp.

Rather's motion was denied without comment Tuesday by the Court of Appeals.

CBS spokeswoman Shannon Jacobs says the network is pleased with the outcome. Rather calls the ruling "a grave miscarriage of justice."

Rather sued CBS and its top executives in 2007, claiming he had been wrongfully removed from his "CBS Evening News" anchor post over a report that examined President George W. Bush's military service.

In September, a five-member Appellate Division panel unanimously concluded there was no breach of contract because CBS still paid Rather his $6 million annual salary after the disputed 2004 broadcast.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York's top court Tuesday rejected Dan Rather's bid to reinstate his $70 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against CBS Corp.

Rather's motion was denied without comment Tuesday by the Court of Appeals.

CBS spokeswoman Shannon Jacobs said the network was pleased with the outcome. Calls to Rather, who now produces an hourlong news program for cable channel HDNet, and to his lawyer Martin Gold were not immediately returned.

Rather sued CBS and its top executives in 2007, claiming he had been wrongfully removed from his "CBS Evening News" anchor post over a report that examined President George W. Bush's military service.

His lawsuit claimed fraud and breach of fiduciary duty, as well as breach of contract.

A court threw out the fraud claims in September 2008. In September, a five-member Appellate Division panel unanimously concluded there was no breach of contract because CBS still paid Rather his $6 million annual salary after the disputed 2004 broadcast.

The dispute began with a piece Rather narrated for the now-defunct "60 Minutes II," in which he reported that Bush got preferential treatment during his Vietnam War-era service in the Texas Air National Guard.

Rather cited new documents CBS had obtained, but the authenticity of the documents later came under attack.

Rather was dumped by CBS in June 2006 after 44 years with the network.

© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Michele Bachmann 2016: What 5 Liberal Pundits Say About Potential GOP Presidential Hopeful

Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 18:51 PM

Michele Bachmann, a potential GOP presidential hopeful in 2016, seems to be a political target that liberals love to sho . . .

Dick's Sporting Goods Guns: What's Retail Chain's Policy on Selling Firearms?

Thursday, 08 Jan 2015 21:02 PM

Imagine walking into Dick’s Sporting Goods to make a gun purchase, something that’s entirely legal under the Second Amen . . .

RPT-Hedge Funds Raise Bullish Commodity Bets First Time in 5 Weeks

Sunday, 17 Mar 2013 17:13 PM

 . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved