What Should I Take for My Anxiety?

Monday, 07 Oct 2013 09:44 AM

By Peter Hibberd, M.D.

  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Question: I have been on Zoloft for a couple of years. It's not helping anymore even though my doctor has upped the dosage. Is there something out there that works better for generalized anxiety disorder, which is what I was diagnosed with?

Dr. Hibberd's answer:
When someone doesn't respond to increasing doses of medicine, it's usually time to discuss this with a specialist who can prescribe another medication or augment your Zoloft with a mood stabilizer or other drug.
I'd recommend you ask for a referral to psychiatrist for re-evaluation of your condition. The major effect of Zoloft occurs at the 50-milligram daily dose, and raising the dose is not always the answer. Ask your doctor to review your medication regimen, and to at least discuss your case with psychiatrist so you can start a modified regimen — perhaps even before a psychiatrist  actually sees you for consultation.

Editor's Note:
Natural Hormones Help Treat Heart Disease, Depression and Chronic Fatigue

© 2014 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.

  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Retype Email:
Zip Code:
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved