Sadly, if Iran
does not back off its efforts to obtain a nuclear weapon it will be stopped.
Whether that occurs in 2012 is up to Iran.
Iran’s health, safety, welfare and sovereignty are squarely in its own hands.
Iran controls its own destiny.
The United States, Israel and others have been very patient and measured in dealing with Iran to date despite Iran¹s violations and contempt of international law and convention.
The U.S., European Union, and Gulf nations are working very hard to avoid conflict and to put into effect more sanctions against Iran in an attempt to persuade Iran to abandon its Nuclear ambitions. The U.S. is determined to isolate Iran’s Central Bank while at the same time convincing countries dependent on Iranian oil to boycott it with the assurance that supplies will be forthcoming from other oil-producing nations.
The last thing America, Israel and our allies want to do is attack Iran. But, there is no doubt in my mind this will occur, if Iran does not back down fully, completely and verifiably from its pursuit of nuclear weapons.
There may be evidence that sanctions against Iran are working. The New York Times in an interview with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu published on Jan. 13 reports the following:
He said, “for the first time, I see Iran wobble,” and went on to explain, “the sanctions that have been adopted and especially under the threat of strong sanctions on their Central Bank.”
Netanyahu added, “If these sanctions are coupled with a clear statement from the international community led by the U.S. to act militarily to stop Iran if the sanctions fail, Iran may consider not going through the pain. There’s no point in gritting your teeth if you’re going to be stopped anyway. In any case, the Iranian economy is showing signs of strain.”
Should sanctions fail and it is determined to a high degree of certainty that Iran is on the verge of obtaining a nuclear weapon, then I believe Israel should take the necessary and proper action to defend itself with the help of other nations including the United States.
Why is Iran so dangerous, you may ask, and why should Iran matter so much to the world?
This is NOT only about the survival of the state of Israel. This is about the preservation of western religion and civilization and it’s most sacred and valued places of worship.
Think about it.
Israel is the keeper and protector of not only the most holy sites of Judaism but of Catholicism as well.
Israel protects these sites because it has a respect and belief in the freedom of religion — even within a Jewish state. In fact, Israel is also the fiduciary of one of Islam’s most sacred sites — the Dome of the Rock.
The most holy sites for Jews in Israel include:
- The Four Holy Cities — Jerusalem, Hebron, Tiberius and Safed.
Jerusalem is the holiest city for Jews and is considered the “soul” and capital of the Jewish state. In this city can be found the most sacred and holy sites including the Western Wall, site of the Second Temple in the Jewish Quarter of the Old City on the Temple Mount.
Hebron houses the burial site of Adam and Eve as well as the Tombs of the Patriarchs. The Bible states that Hebron was the capital of King David.
Tiberius is the place where the Jerusalem Talmud was written and was the center of rabbinical study in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Safed in 1492 became a holy city when Jews came in mass after being expelled from Spain.
There are a whole host of other biblical places (to numerous to list), located throughout the state of Israel — Masada, Jericho, Sea of Galilee, etc.
Catholicism’s most holy sites in Israel include:
- Bethlehem, the birthplace of Jesus.
- Nazareth, the place where Jesus grew up and began his ministry.
- Jerusalem, the city where the early church began, is home of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and the Stations of the Cross.
- Golgotha, the place outside the wall of Old Jerusalem where Jesus was crucified.
The most holy site of Islam is not located in the state of Israel. Its most holy site, Mecca (the birthplace of the Prophet Mohammad and the Mosque Ka’ba), is located in Saudi Arabia.
Radical Islamists — including but not limited to the president of Iran — have called for the destruction of the state of Israel and now Iran is building the instrumentalities to make good on those threats. The most extreme Muslims have sought to destroy the sacred places of religion they deem unholy or inferior to Islam.
Radical Muslims have a history of destroying and desecrating religious sights of other religions:
- 1948: The Arab Legion captured the Jewish Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem, the site of numerous ancient synagogues and the Western Wall. After the capture, Radical Muslims undertook to destroy, desecrate and loot Jewish sites.
- 2001: Afghan Taliban Supreme Leader Mulla Mohammad Omar issued a decree ordering the destruction of all statues in Afghanistan, including all pre-Islamic figures. As a result, the Taliban destroyed many ancient relics including a priceless Buddha dating back 2,000 years. The leader, when criticized, gave the following response, “all we are breaking are stones.”
- 2002: Palestinian Arab terrorists forced their way into the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, the birthplace of Jesus. The terrorists occupied one of Catholicism’s most holy sites for 38 days. They used priests and nuns as human shields while taunting the Israeli’s to attack. Israeli forces stormed the church and freed the hostages without causing damage to the church. The terrorists did the most damage to the church. They urinated, defecated and spread garbage throughout the church.
Hitler sought the destruction of the Jews of Eastern Europe. He told the world of his intentions and then set out to accomplish his goal. He sacrificed millions of innocent people, including his own to obtain his goal. Six million Jews were exterminated in World War II, however, more than 50 million others were killed in the fighting and injured.
Radical Islam seeks the destruction of the state of Israel and the United States. It makes no secret of its intentions and is building the instrumentalities to make good on them.
Radical Islam knows that if it destroys the state of Israel it also wipes out the most holy sites of Judaism and Catholicism as well. It knows that our civility would prevent us from attacking Mecca, since the Saudi’s would stay neutral in any attack. Once the most holy sites of the Western world are wiped off the face of the earth, they could never be replaced. Like Hitler, radical Islam is willing to sacrifice its people and treasure for religious zealotry.
Europe could have stopped Hitler. But it ignored him and let him get so powerful that war became inevitable.
Do we learn from history or do we repeat it?
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.