NATO to Investigate Drone Strike After Afghans Say Civilians Died

Thursday, 19 Sep 2013 06:42 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghanistan's NATO force has launched an investigation into an attack by a drone aircraft on an al-Qaida member which a senior Afghan official said killed eight women and children.

Civilian casualties have been a long-running source of friction between Afghan President Hamid Karzai and his international backers. Karzai has forbidden Afghan troops from calling for foreign air strikes, though the ban is not always adhered to.

The attack took place on Sept. 7 in the eastern province of Kunar. NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) initially said "10 enemy forces" had been killed and it had no reports of any civilian casualties.

"When allegations arose of civilian fatalities as a result of this mission, ISAF initiated an investigation," said a force spokeswoman, Colonel Jane Crichton.

"The airstrike targeted insurgents riding in a truck. There were no signs of civilians in the vicinity," Crichton said.

But Karzai had strongly condemned the attack from the outset. He called it an attack on women and children which was "against all internationally agreed principles."

Afghan security officials in Kunar said NATO special operations forces had launched the drone to attack an al-Qaida operative.

"Four women, four children, two drivers, a merchant and three suspected [insurgents] were killed," Kunar governor Shuja ul-Mulkh Jalala told Reuters.

A four year-old girl was seriously wounded, Jalala said.

Civilian casualties have been on the rise in the Afghan war, adding to concern about security as Western forces prepare to leave by the end of next year.

Karzai has been supported by the United States and its allies since he was installed as leader shortly after the Taliban were ousted in 2001. But his relationship with his allies can be fraught.

Karzai has appealed to the Taliban to give up their war and has expressed the hope violence will end when Western forces leave. The Taliban call him a U.S. "puppet."

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

US Asks NKorea to Release Americans on Humanitarian Concerns

Monday, 01 Sep 2014 08:45 AM

The U.S. government on Monday requested that the North Korean government release three U.S. citizens currently detained  . . .

Pakistan's Premier Challenged by Raging Protests

Monday, 01 Sep 2014 14:38 PM

ISLAMABAD - Ahead of a joint session of parliament, Pakistan's prime minister and army chief held marathon meetings Mond . . .

China Defends Hong Kong Democracy Plan as Protests Break Out

Monday, 01 Sep 2014 08:39 AM

China defended a plan to place limits on democracy in Hong Kong, calling on opposition lawmakers to get behind its rulin . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved