Niger Security Forces Repel Islamist Attack on Police

Thursday, 13 Jun 2013 03:50 AM

 

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

NIAMEY, Niger — Niger's security forces repelled an overnight assault by gunmen on a military police academy in the capital Niamey, the defense minister said on Wednesday, an attack likely to heighten concerns over the Islamist threat in the West African nation.

The attack on the academy in Niamey's northern Koirategui suburb followed a June 1 assault on a prison in the capital, during which more than 20 Islamist prisoners escaped.

In late May, there were twin suicide bombings at a French-run uranium mine and military barracks in Niger's desert north.

Defense Minister Mahamadou Karidjo said at least three motorcyclists had opened fire on a guardpost at the academy late on Tuesday. At the same time, two men attempted to scale the outer wall but were spotted by a guard, who opened fire.

The assailants escaped under cover of gunfire from a nearby 4x4 vehicle, he said.

"The gendarmes were able to repel all of these attacks and we suffered no casualties in our ranks," the minister told Reuters.

Residents reported sporadic gunfire for around an hour around the military base. Military police combed the neighborhood, which was plunged into darkness by a power cut, but were unable to locate any of the attackers.

The assault on the Niamey prison killed two guards and freed 22 prisoners including several convicted on terrorism charges. Among them was Alassane Ould Mohamed, who was serving a 20-year sentence for the murder of four Saudi Arabians and an American.

Niger has deployed 650 troops in neighboring Mali to assist in a French-led push against Islamist rebels who seized the northern two-thirds of the country last year. Niger's participation prompted threats of reprisals by militant groups.

The Islamist attack on the Areva mine in Arlit and the barracks in Agadez last month, which killed 25 people, was claimed by the MUJWA group that seized part of north Mali last year and the Mulathameen brigade of veteran jihadist Mokhtar Belmokhtar.

Ten Islamists fighters also died in the May raids.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Egypt Puts 26 Men on Trial for 'Debauchery'

Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 12:21 PM

An Egyptian court on Sunday tried 26 men for alleged debauchery after accusing them of homosexual activity at a Cairo pu . . .

Egypt Eases Spectator Ban for Football League Matches

Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 12:11 PM

Egypt will allow some fans to attend Premier League football matches for the first time since imposing a spectator ban a . . .

Two Men Burned Alive in DR Congo after Attack: Official

Saturday, 20 Dec 2014 08:34 AM

Two men were burned alive Saturday by civilians in the Democratic Republic of Congo's volatile east after they attacked  . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved