Group Linked to Algeria Gas Plant Attack Claims Niger Raids

Friday, 24 May 2013 08:29 AM

 

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

ABIDJAN,  Ivory Coast — An al-Qaida-linked group that carried out the raid on the In Amenas gas plant in Algeria in January has claimed to have participated in Thursday's attacks in Niger.

A statement posted on the Internet on Friday was signed by Khalid Abu al-Abbas, better known as Mokhtar Belmokhtar, a leading figure in al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM).

At least 21 people were killed and dozens wounded in coordinated dawn assaults on a uranium mine run by French company Areva at Arlit and the military base in Agadez, Niger, on Thursday.

The statement said the raid was a response to Niger's participation in operations in neighbouring Mali and claims by Nigerien President Mahamadou Issoufou that the Islamists had been defeated.

"This is the first of our responses to the statement of the president of Niger — from his masters in Paris — that he eliminated jihad and the mujahedeen militarily," it read. "We will have more operations, by the strength and power of Allah, and not only that, but we will move the battle to the inside of his country if he doesn't withdraw his mercenary army."

Members of the brigade took part in the attack alongside fighters from the Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa (MUJWA) it said. MUJWA, an Islamist group based in the desert Sahel and Sahara regions, claimed responsibility earlier for the Niger attacks.

The statement was sent to Mauritania's ANI news agency and posted on radical Islamist Internet forums. It was also posted and translated into English by jihadist monitoring group SITE, but its authenticity could not be independently verified.

Belmokhtar's men were among 40 jihadist fighters who raided the desert facility at In Amenas, Algeria, in late January, leaving scores of militants and hostages, many of them western workers, dead.

MUJWA and AQIM pledged to strike at French interests across the region after Paris launched a ground and air campaign in January that broke their 10-month grip over the northern two-thirds of Mali.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Egypt Puts 26 Men on Trial for 'Debauchery'

Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 12:21 PM

An Egyptian court on Sunday tried 26 men for alleged debauchery after accusing them of homosexual activity at a Cairo pu . . .

Egypt Eases Spectator Ban for Football League Matches

Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 12:11 PM

Egypt will allow some fans to attend Premier League football matches for the first time since imposing a spectator ban a . . .

Two Men Burned Alive in DR Congo after Attack: Official

Saturday, 20 Dec 2014 08:34 AM

Two men were burned alive Saturday by civilians in the Democratic Republic of Congo's volatile east after they attacked  . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved