Egypt Denies US Access to Suspect Linked to Benghazi Attack

Friday, 22 Feb 2013 03:44 AM

By Marti Lotman

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
The United States has been denied direct access to a suspect held in Egypt in connection with the Benghazi attack on the U.S. Embassy in September, according to Fox News
 
U.S. authorities have been barred from interrogating Mohammed Jamal — also known as Abu Ahmed — who is suspected of setting up Islamist training camps in Eastern Libya. Militants involved in the Sept. 11 Benghazi terrorist attack allegedly used the camps for training.

It is not believed that Jamal directly took part in the attack that left four Americans dead, including U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens. However, this marks at least the second time the United States has been barred from interrogating a suspect held by a foreign government, Fox News reports.

Urgent:
Should Obama Ban Guns? Vote in Poll

U.S. officials have requested access to the suspect, but were denied by the Egyptian authorities, according to Thomas Joscelyn, with the Foundation for Defense of Democracies.

“The Egyptians like to control the interrogations and interviews of these suspects for their own reasons and of course the Americans should want access for our purposes as well,” Joscelyn said.

“As early as 2011, [Jamal] was setting up training camps inside eastern Libya  .  .  .  and they were drawing in recruits from around North Africa and Egypt [training] them in terms of how to operate mortars, and various types of heavy artillery — and it’s that type of artillery that was used in the attack in Benghazi,” he said.

Jamal was first imprisoned while former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak was in office. He was released in 2011, and re-arrested in late 2012, according to the Long War Journal.

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Death Toll in W.Africa Ebola Epidemic Reaches 2,630 - WHO

Thursday, 18 Sep 2014 12:44 PM

At least 2,630 people have died in the worst outbreak of Ebola virus in history, which has so far infected at least 5,35 . . .

Survivor Tells of Europe's Deadliest Migrant Shipwreck

Wednesday, 17 Sep 2014 15:50 PM

After three days adrift, drinking his own urine to survive as he watched dozens of people sink to a watery grave, Mohame . . .

Police: Mob Violence Kills Four in Nigerian Village

Wednesday, 17 Sep 2014 15:31 PM

Four people were killed Wednesday in a northwest Nigerian village as a mob went on the rampage after being stopped from  . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved