M23 Rebels Announce Truce for UN Chief Ban's Congo Visit

Thursday, 23 May 2013 04:26 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
GOMA, Democratic Republic of Congo — Rebels in eastern Congo announced a cease-fire on Thursday in fighting with government troops hours before a visit to the conflict-plagued zone by U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and World Bank President Jim Yong Kim.

"We've decided to announce this cease-fire to allow His Excellency Ban Ki-moon to visit Goma as he promised," Amani Kabasha, political spokesman for the M23 rebel group, told Reuters following several days of clashes in the east near Goma on the Democratic Republic of Congo's border with Rwanda.

At least 20 people have been killed this week in three successive days of fighting between the Congolese army and M23, a Tutsi-dominated insurgency that has demanded political concessions from President Joseph Kabila's government.

The renewed combat after six months of relative calm underlines the challenges facing one of Africa's most conflict-ridden regions, which will receive $1 billion in fresh development funds pledged by the World Bank.

Ban and Kim, who will spend a few hours in Goma on Thursday meeting local and U.N. officials, say the World Bank funding will contribute to peace in the volatile Great Lakes region.

But Ban has said the $1 billion to help finance health and education services, hydro-electric projects and cross-border trade is contingent on countries in the region honoring a peace deal brokered by the United Nations.

U.N. experts have accused Rwanda of sending troops and weapons across the border to support the M23 last year. Rwanda denies the accusation.

M23 spokesman Kabasha demanded that Congolese President Kabila also sign a formal ceasefire. "We're very happy that Ban Ki-moon is coming to Congo, so he can see the real problems are deeper than what they appear," he added.

Talks between M23 and Congo's government in Uganda have stalled. M23 is made up of members of a previous Tutsi-dominated rebellion who integrated into the army after a 2009 peace deal.

But they deserted en masse last year and have stepped up training in preparation for the deployment of a U.N. brigade with a mandate to neutralize armed groups across the region.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Tutu: Central African Republic on the 'Brink of Genocide'

Sunday, 20 Apr 2014 11:22 AM

Nobel peace laureate Desmond Tutu warned Sunday that the Central African Republic was on the brink of genocide, as he  . . .

Official: 14 More Nigeria Schoolgirls Escape Islamists

Sunday, 20 Apr 2014 10:51 AM

Another 14 Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram Islamists in the northeast have escaped, leaving 85 missing on S . . .

Nigeria Preacher: Healer or Controversial Leader?

Saturday, 19 Apr 2014 11:49 AM

Critics say this wildly popular televangelist hinders efforts to curtail the spread of HIV and tuberculosis with testimo . . .

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved